No Dairy Blueberry Banana Freeze
When I was a kid, there was a frozen custard place we used to go to about once a month in St. Louis (where I'm from) called Ted Drewes. The lines went all the way out to the street, and they were known, nationwide, for their decadent desserts. I had my favorites, but my parents always got the same thing; a blueberry banana "concrete." It was the perfect combination of that fresh, summery sweet/tartness from the blueberries and the creamy and sweet thickness from the bananas.
During a demo yesterday, I put together a new, healthier rendition that's just as decadent. The bananas add the creaminess without the addition of dairy.
This recipe is dedicated to that memory. Ted Drewes (and my folks) would be proud. And the vegetables make it even healthier. Great for kids.
- 2 bananas + 1/2 banana, peeled
- 1/2 + 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1/2 avocado, peeled
- 2 baby carrots
- 1/8 cup spinach
- 1 stalk kale
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or honey (or less)
- 2 cups ice
- (Optional) 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- (Optional) 1/2 cup soy yogurt
- Place 2 bananas, 1/2 cup blueberries, and remaining ingredients into Vitamix. Slowly ramp up to high speed and run for 1 minute.
- Drop speed down to a 2 or 3 and add remaining banana and blueberries through lid opening. Use tamper to push ingredients into blade to chop into bits for texture.
- Serve immediately.
- If bananas and blueberries are not getting sufficiently chopped at end, quickly pulse up to 5 or 6 on the variable speed dial, and then immediately back down.