Sandra’s Vegan Roasted Tomato and Basil Soup
Roasting vegetables gives a lot of depth of flavor, so be sure to include this step if you have the time. Lots of great complementary flavors in this one...and it's vegan!
- 8 -10 medium ripe tomatoes seeded cut into quarters
- 1 large sweet red pepper cut in large chunks
- 2 15-oz cans organic diced tomatoes including the juice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups organic yellow onions, chopped (about 2 medium onions)
- 1 cup firmly packed finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh garlic (about 8 large cloves)
- 1/4 cup raw macadamias (optional - see note in post)
- 2 - 4 pitted dates or 1 - 2 Tbsp agave to taste (optional - see note in post. Omit if alkaline)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves (I use lemon thyme)
- 2 tsp Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed dried red chilli pepper flakes (optional - omit if alkaline)
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- • Preheat oven to 200 / 400 degrees.
- • Toss together the sweet peppers, tomato halves, 1/4 C of the olive oil, 1 tsp of the salt and a sprinkle of cracked pepper.
- • Spread in single layer on a baking sheet and roast for about an hour.
- • Give them a good toss a couple of times during the cooking time to get an even roast.
- • In a large pot, saute the onions and garlic in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tsp of the sea salt and the red pepper flakes for about 10 minutes just until the onions just start to brown.
- • Add in the canned tomatoes with all of their juices, the basil, thyme and vegetable broth.
- • Add in the oven-roasted peppers and tomatoes with all of their juices and the sun dried tomatoes.
- • Bring this mixture to a boil and simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes.
- • Place the mixture in your blender (I use a Vitamix) in batches with the macadamias and the agave until smooth and creamy.
- • Season to taste and serve with crusty bread or a scoop of your favorite grain.
- Thanks to The Blender Girl for the recipe!
Adapted from Healthy Blender Recipes