Vitamix Chocolate Soy Milk
- 1 cup dried soy beans
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar, honey, agave nectar, or stevia
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa or Raw cacao
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- Clean whole soy beans and soak for 4-8 hours. (Easy if you do this overnight.)
- Steam in medium pot for about 15 minutes.
- Using a colander, drain water from beans and let cool.
- Beans will have gotten bigger. Measure 1 1/2 cups of cooked beans. Place the beans, sugar, cocoa/cacao and water (and salt, if desired) into the Vitamix container in the order listed and place the lid securely on the container.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 60-90 seconds until smooth.
- OPTIONAL STEP: Using a filtration bag or cheese cloth, strain the mixture to create a smoother texture.
- You might have noticed the ingredient listing of cocoa/cacao. They are actually two different things. Ground cocoa has been roasted and processed for taste, destroying much of the nutrient value in the process. Raw cacao, however, is still in a raw, unprocessed state. It's known as a great source of magnesium, calcium, zinc, iron, copper and potassium. Raw cacao also contains more antioxidant flavonoids than red wine, green tea and blueberries. If you purchase a bag, feel free to include a tablespoon in your smoothies every morning for an extra boost of energy through the day.
Image courtesy of FitTrainingConcepts.com