Liver Cleanse Drink
Milk thistle is typically an herb used to clean out the liver. This helps replace it, with an added zing of ginger and lemon.
- 2 cups red beets, cleaned and quartered
- 2 cups green kale
- 1 sliver lemon (with peel)
- 1 small slice ginger (with peel)
- 1 cup water
- Ice to chill
- Blend all ingredients on high for 1 minute.
- To make the drink thinner, add more water.
Adapted from Liquid Raw Book/Lisa Montgomery
Coconut Peanut Butter Smoothie
Made this one for breakfast this morning. Great combo of chocolate and peanut butter, along with greens and your Omegas for the day. Kat said, "Worthy of any real smoothie place."
- 2 scoops chocolate protein powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (or almond butter)
- small handful spinach
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4-6 ice cubes
- Blend all ingredients on high for 45-60 seconds.
- Picture courtesy of www.letbirdsflyblog.com
Almond Coffee Green Smoothie
One of my favorite Vitamix drinks to make is a mocha frappuccino with carrots, spinach, kale, and squash. This is a great take on that, with stronger emphasis on the greens and less on the coffee.
- 5 ice cubes
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/8 cup whole raw almonds (about 12-18), optional
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso (or instant coffee)
- 1 tablespoon agave or favorite sweetener
- 1/2 of a frozen banana
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
- Extra prep time because the banana needs to be frozen, so throw it in the freezer the night before. Well, don't throw it...you might break the ice maker.
Adapted from Phoenix New Times