The Sicilian Detox Smoothie
WARNING: This power-packed, antioxidant explosion is not for the weak. Brimming with bright, nutrient-dense veggies, Michael Corleone could have just as easily proven his loyalty to the family by drinking this.
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large tomatoes
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/4 cup watercress
- 1/2 cup loosely packed spinach
- 1 red jalapeño, seeded (optional)
- Additional cool water to thin mixture (optional)
- 2-3 ice cubes to chill (optional)
- Place all ingredients into container and blend on high for one minute. If mixture is too thick, take plug out of lid and, while machine is still on, begin pouring water until desired consistency is reached. Serve immediately. Remaining mixture will keep 1-2 days in sealed container in refrigerator.
- Thanks to this "picture we couldn't refuse" to www.live-green-smoothie-diet.com
Adapted from Prevention
Spiced Green Tea Smoothie
Green tea is highly alkaline and a terrific antioxidant. Both contribute to your body ridding itself of free radicals to fight cancer and other diseases. With the cayenne pepper and lemon, this cleansing smoothie with help you feel great day long.
- 3/4 cup strong green tea, chilled
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon (2-3 TBSP)
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1 small pear, skin on, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons fat-free plain yogurt
- 6-8 ice cubes
- Brew tea and chill in fridge for 1 hour.
- Blend all ingredients in Vitamix for 1 minute on high. Serve immediately.
- To make this smoothie completely vegan, sub in soy or almond yogurt for the traditional yogurt.
- For additional spice and flavor, add 1 tsp each of cinnamon and cardamom.
- A big, simple green THANKS to SimpleGreenSmoothies.com for the simple green image.
Adapted from Health.com
“Vegetable Magnetism” Carrot Squash Cleansing Smoothie
Trying to keep your system cleansed, but need a break from all the greens? This one's a bit more mild, with emphasis on the orangey, high beta-carotene carrots and butternut squash.
- 4 carrots, whole
- 1 cup peeled butternut squash
- 1/2 cucumber, roughly chopped and leave peel on
- Half-inch piece of ginger
- Shake of cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 4-6 ice cubes
- Prep all ingredients, then place into Vitamix container. Blend on high for 45-60 seconds. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was originally designed to be made with a juicer. By making it with the Vitamix, you're retaining the fiber, but it also comes out much thicker. Add water to suit your own desired thickness.
- Photo courtesy of www.cookingwithjax.com
Adapted from Healthy Blender Girl
Morning Glorious Smoothie
Full of alkalinity and antioxidants, this mega-green monster starts with cucumber. That means less extra water + more nutrient density to kick up your day!
- 1/2 large cucumber with peel
- 1/4 cup kale
- 1/4 cup romaine
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 broccoli stem
- 1/4 green apple with peel
- 1/4 lemon with peel
- Place all ingredients in Vitamix and replace lid. Turn to Variable speed 1, then slowly bring up to 10 and change from Variable to High. Blend for 45-60 seconds. Serve immediately.
- 1. This recipe doesn't call for ice. Ayurvedic nutrition teaches that that when you drink or eat cold foods, you slow the rate at which food is digested. That said, you're welcome to toss in a couple cubes if you prefer your smoothie cold.
- 2. Kris' original recipe was juiced. This is a smoothie. You're getting more fiber with this recipe, but if you own a juicer and would prefer to make it as a juice, follow her original recipe found at http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/diets/25-delectable-detox-smoothies.
- 3. If you'd prefer a thinner, lighter smoothie, add 1/2 cup water.
Adapted from Kris Carr/Crazy Sexy Kitchen
Chocolate Blackberry Power Smoothie
Dark, sweet, fruity, and packed with protein and antioxidants.
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp
- Live Superfoods Ecuadorian Cacao Powder
- 1 cup frozen blackberries
- 1 1/2 scoops vanilla or chocolate protein powder
- 1/4 cup baby spinach leaves
- 3/4 cup ice
- 1 tbsp honey, agave nectar, or stevia (optional)
- Secure lid to Vitamix. Blend all ingredients on high for 45-60 seconds.
- Raw cacao is different than processed chocolate or chocolate powder. A superfood, raw cacao has more antioxidant flavonoids than any food tested so far, including blueberries, red wine, and black and green teas. In fact, it has up to four times the quantity of antioxidants found in green tea. Health benefits of these antioxidants include promoting cardiovascular health by dilating blood vessels, reducing blood clotting, improving circulation, and helps regulate heartbeat and blood pressure.
- Image courtesy of adashofmeg.com
Adapted from Vitamix
Adapted from Vitamix
No Dairy Blueberry Banana Freeze
When I was a kid, there was a frozen custard place we used to go to about once a month in St. Louis (where I'm from) called Ted Drewes. The lines went all the way out to the street, and they were known, nationwide, for their decadent desserts. I had my favorites, but my parents always got the same thing; a blueberry banana "concrete." It was the perfect combination of that fresh, summery sweet/tartness from the blueberries and the creamy and sweet thickness from the bananas.
During a demo yesterday, I put together a new, healthier rendition that's just as decadent. The bananas add the creaminess without the addition of dairy.
This recipe is dedicated to that memory. Ted Drewes (and my folks) would be proud. And the vegetables make it even healthier. Great for kids.
- 2 bananas + 1/2 banana, peeled
- 1/2 + 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1/2 avocado, peeled
- 2 baby carrots
- 1/8 cup spinach
- 1 stalk kale
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or honey (or less)
- 2 cups ice
- (Optional) 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- (Optional) 1/2 cup soy yogurt
- Place 2 bananas, 1/2 cup blueberries, and remaining ingredients into Vitamix. Slowly ramp up to high speed and run for 1 minute.
- Drop speed down to a 2 or 3 and add remaining banana and blueberries through lid opening. Use tamper to push ingredients into blade to chop into bits for texture.
- Serve immediately.
- If bananas and blueberries are not getting sufficiently chopped at end, quickly pulse up to 5 or 6 on the variable speed dial, and then immediately back down.