The Sicilian Detox Smoothie
WARNING: This power-packed, antioxidant explosion is not for the weak. Brimming with bright, nutrient-dense veggies, Michael Corleone could have just as easily proven his loyalty to the family by drinking this.
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large tomatoes
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/4 cup watercress
- 1/2 cup loosely packed spinach
- 1 red jalapeño, seeded (optional)
- Additional cool water to thin mixture (optional)
- 2-3 ice cubes to chill (optional)
- Place all ingredients into container and blend on high for one minute. If mixture is too thick, take plug out of lid and, while machine is still on, begin pouring water until desired consistency is reached. Serve immediately. Remaining mixture will keep 1-2 days in sealed container in refrigerator.
- Thanks to this "picture we couldn't refuse" to www.live-green-smoothie-diet.com
Adapted from Prevention
Lemon Garlic Dressing
Want a zesty, savory dressing WITHOUT the $5/bottle price tag? This terrific salad topper is full of cleansing, whole ingredients, and you can make a whole bottle's worth with elements you probably already have in your kitchen.
- 1 lemon, peeled, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) olive oil
- Place lemon, hot sauce, garlic, paprika, and seasonings into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid. Select Variable 1. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High. Blend for 45 seconds to 1 minute, using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades.
- Reduce speed to Variable 7 and remove lid plug. While machine is running, slowly pour in oil through lid opening. Blend for 20 seconds.
- The dressing should stay fresh for about a week or longer in the fridge.
- P.S. Zesty dressing image courtesy of www.SoyConnection.com
Adapted from Vitamix
Adapted from Vitamix
Spiced Green Tea Smoothie
Green tea is highly alkaline and a terrific antioxidant. Both contribute to your body ridding itself of free radicals to fight cancer and other diseases. With the cayenne pepper and lemon, this cleansing smoothie with help you feel great day long.
- 3/4 cup strong green tea, chilled
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon (2-3 TBSP)
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1 small pear, skin on, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons fat-free plain yogurt
- 6-8 ice cubes
- Brew tea and chill in fridge for 1 hour.
- Blend all ingredients in Vitamix for 1 minute on high. Serve immediately.
- To make this smoothie completely vegan, sub in soy or almond yogurt for the traditional yogurt.
- For additional spice and flavor, add 1 tsp each of cinnamon and cardamom.
- A big, simple green THANKS to SimpleGreenSmoothies.com for the simple green image.
Adapted from Health.com